I am pretty lucky to be married.
As seen on Boing Boing.
If anyone finds my configuration notes on this site helpful, the best way to repay me is to buy a copy of my wife’s wonderful book here and post a review to Amazon. You’ll be happy, I promise.
A while back, my wife started writing stories that take place in the city of Nagspeake. It’s a weird place where they burn all the city’s archives every so often and you can read more about it at the Nagspeake Board of Tourism and Travel. Kate’s next novel is going to take place there!
One of my favorite things she has written has got to be In The Hacker’s Bazaar, a story that takes place in Nagspeake. She found inspiration from:
- my Freeciv addiction.
- an article I found (can’t find it now) about kids in the third world learning to solder spare parts to keep their OLPC laptops running.
- corresponding images of the Bladerunner parts market.
- my explanation to her about the differences between computer viruses, trojans and worms.
- my obsession with self-unaware AI stories.
- her obsession with seedy underworlds.
Basically, I love dumping a bunch of knowledge on her and see what comes out. It is one of my favorite pass times. I’m not sure she is aware how much Boing Boing and Reddit influence her writing using me as a conduit.
Anyway, I think it is just great. So I present unto thee: